St. Joseph provides innovative educational opportunities for children
St. Joseph Catholic School in Waconia, Minnesota is a place where your entire family can experience a higher power of learning through Faith-based teaching, 21st Century instruction, community involvement! We provide many extra-curricular, co-curricular, and artistic activities for our students while we strive to meet the spiritual, intellectual, physical, and social-emotional needs of all learners.
What are the top 10 reasons to choose St. Joseph Catholic STEM School?
1. Our Mission
Our mission is to help your family get to heaven! We inspire and empower all learners to become the person God intends by integrating Catholic virtues, prayers, and service with 21st Century Learning. Our tagline: Take a closer step to Heaven, and don't go alone!
2. Our Smart Lab - Recognized as a Leading C-STEM School in Archdiocese
We have a STEM lab that we call our Smart Lab, which is the only one of its kind in the state of Minnesota. Our students have at least 2 days per week in this classroom which is taught by a dedicated STEM Curriculum Specialist.
3. Our nurturing environment
We acknowledge the uniqueness of each child by addressing their spiritual, academic, social/emotional and physical needs. We model the teaching of Christ to create life-long learning with Christ being our foundation.
4. Our Believe and Read Program
St. Joseph School was selected in 2019 as a partner school for the Groves Academy Instructional Model through a grant provided by the Catholic Schools Center of Excellence. All of our K-3 learners gain additional literacy resources and our teaching staff receives personalized instruction on the literacy framework.
5. Our small class sizes
Our classes have an average of 16 students which gives students quality, one-on-one interactions with their teachers!
6. Our growing community!
Enrollment has increased by 10% over the last two years and we project an enrollment increase for upcoming school years!
7. Our Award-winning school and programs
We offer Middle School Math League, Robotics, and athletics curricular activities for students grades K-8.
- Carver County Readers' Choice Awards - Best School 7 years in a row (2014-2020)
- Voted Best Principal 4 years in a row (2016-2020)
- Voted Best Teacher - Mrs. Kristi Klawitter (2018)
- Voted Best Tutoring Program - Mr. Eric Ehalt (2020)
- Math League - Placed 2nd in Division and had three students finish in the 10 ten (2019)
- Robotics Club - Competed in State competitions for the past two years
- Sports & Athletics
- Pope John Paul II (JP2) Virtue Program
- 4 Star Parent Aware Rated and NAEYC Accredited - Preschool
- 2018 - SJ Alum graduated as Valedictorian at Holy Family Catholic High School
- 2018 - Five SJ Alum recognized with National Honor Society awards at Waconia High School
- 2020 - Two SJ Alum recognized as National Merit Scholars at Waconia High School
8. Our "Other People" Mindset
Each day the first 15 minutes are spent learning about the #otherpeoplematter mindset with the Positivity Project. Our teachers work to empower our students to build positive relationships. Learn more about the Positivity Project here!
9. We work with all our families
We do not want cost to be the deciding factor for our families so we work to ensure your tuition is affordable, create a payment plan, and help you make Catholic education a reality! 40% of our families receive tuition aid! Learn more about our tuition rate and scholarship options here: https://school.stjosephwaconia.org/tuition/.
10. Our Before & After School Care programs
Serving our families doesn't end when the bell rings! We offer before and after school care for our school-aged students. Grades 4+ are able to attend the "Homework Club" after school. We have a well sought-after summer childcare program that includes STEM activities and excellent learning all summer long.
Spring 2019 Standardized Assessment Testing Results
St. Joseph students have outperformed other area schools in standardized assessment testing. At St. Joseph, we analyze our math and reading results carefully. We are proud of their efforts and the work of our teachers and parents to support their academics.
“While this is only one measure of student success, we know the results are important for our families and staff as we continue to advance our tradition of excellence!” - Principal Bruce Richards
|Cumulative Grades K-8 - % exceeding the national average||86%||83%||85%||87%|
|8th Grade Graduates % exceeding the national average||100%||94%||94%||94%|